Understanding hoof anatomy is crucial for anyone who wants to reduce lameness in the herd. Join AHDB Dairy and Dr Reuben Newsome for a practical session on dissecting hooves. We will discuss new research findings into protecting cows’ feet and preventing lameness, as well as exploring the ideal foot trimming method and timing.
Everyone will participate in:
• Dismantling healthy and diseased feet to see the structures that must be protected to maintain good mobility.
• Observing the attachment between hoof and bone – the laminae.
• Identifying the fat pads and comparing this structure in healthy and compromised hooves.
• Comparing white lines.
• Measuring and comparing pedal bones.
• Examining sole thickness – what is optimal.
• Assessing the digital and interdigital skin – key to preventing digital dermatitis.
To book your place please call Synergy on 01935 83682.